CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Broken Bones

Don't worry everyone! I didn't break anything recently! I was just tagged by my sister to tell about the broken bones I've had throughout my life. She was writing about all of the many she's had, and I must say, they are all odd things to break. She broke her septum (the thing in your nose), her hip (and didn't know it), her jaw, and her tail bone, for starters. That girl's got talent! I've only broken two things that I know of for sure. I suspect a few others, but I'll start by dictating the "for sure" ones.
The summer before first grade my grandparents, who live next door, got a beautiful swing set. That summer I decided that if heaven didn't have swing sets, I didn't want to go. Anyway, I got really good at balancing on the bar that the swings are attached to. I could do spins, twist and jump things, all kinds of exciting stuff. My grandmother was convinced I would fall and break something, so I never did it around her (remember, I was a conniving child). Well, one day I was swinging. Swinging! Not even doing crazy stuff on the bar! When I was done I decided to jump out. I had done it a million times, so it was no big deal. I jumped, and I remember my body going higher than I was accustomed to. I went high enough that my body started flipping. I landed face down, buy my arm broke my fall. And itself. Both bones in my left arm. I started to cry, which I did often, but my grandpa said he could tell something was very wrong because I was crying differently. He came out, picked me up, and carried me home. I tried my hardest to convince my parents it wasn't broken, even though it was bent at an odd angle, because Michael had told me that when you break bones, the doctors have to cut it off. Such a nice brother. I remember on the way to the hospital saying over and over, "It's not broken! It's not broken!" Well, it was broken, and, much to my relief, they didn't cut it off. I got a pink cast. I had a reputation to keep at the elementary as the best at the Monkey Bars, so even though I had a cast all the way up to my shoulder I diligently kept my reputation. It was sure awkward going, though.
The second thing I broke for sure was my right pinky, right at the joint. I was going down the slide in fifth grade with 3 of my friends. All at once. I don't even remember how I did it. I just remember getting off the slide, looking at my finger and then looking at the looks of horror on my friends faces. Then it suddenly started to hurt. A lot. Funny how that works. My brother Nic came and picked me up and took me to Dr. Last. He took my hand and told me he was just going to go like this! He yanked on my pinky when he said "this". I started crying and glared at him. The nerve! Nic took me to the ice cream parlor place that used to be in Hurricane, then we went to the Library where my mom worked. Her boss, Lloyd Reed (or something like that), gave me a grape sucker. We've had a bond ever since ;)
I suspect that I may have cracked my nose a couple of years ago. My dad was tickling me, so I chased after him and tried to tickle him back. Dumb idea. I got him from behind, and when he turned he swing his arm up and accidentally whacked my nose. I saw stars! It killed. It's had a little bump on the top ever since then.
The other one I suspect is my back. I'm becoming more and more convinced all the time. Maybe it wasn't broken, but I certainly did something major to it. A couple summers ago I went to Lake Powell for a week with my friend and her family. They had one of those big tubes that are like a mattress that curve up at the back so you're sitting up. LeAira and I were on that and the driver was going really fast. Too fast for us first timers. She took a sharp turn and the tube went over the boat's waves. We got some major air! They said the tube was higher then the canopy thing on the boat. When we came back down the tube smashed on the water like bricks. My back just crunched. I couldn't cry because I couldn't breathe, so I just panicked. I was certain I was going to die, or at least be paralyzed for the rest of my life. They pulled the tube up the the boat (we didn't fall off!) and lifted me off. We were in the middle of the lake, so I just lay on the floor while they drove back to camp. That was the most pain I've ever been in. Every time the boat leaned one way or the other I felt a stabbing pain from my lower back. When we got to camp they put me on my cot and prodded around my spine. They gave me a blessing, which I don't remember. That was about the third day there, and they only had 2 more, so I decided to stay. Another dumb idea. I just stayed on my cot and slept for the rest of the time because I just about blacked out from the pain every time I moved, but they were so nice to invite me that I didn't want to ruin their trip by cutting it short. It was a long, miserable ride home. I mostly lounged around for the next few days until I could get to the chiropractor. Golly, that was a painful visit! They never took any X-Rays, which we should have had them do, so I might never know if it was broken. I still want to get some taken. I went to the chiropractor a couple times a week for a few months. It hurt to stand up or turn my body at all for about 6 months, then just hurt to bend for about another year, and now it only shoots stabbing pain when I bend certain ways. I can actually feel the vertebrae that was affected. The others are all smooth, and this one is bumpy when you rub it. Needless to say, when I think of Lake Powell, all I can think of is lots of pain.
That about sums it up for my broken bone stories. Nothing quite as unique as Brittany's. :) I tag everyone who reads this. Mwa ha ha! Take that! I'll be checking...

4 comments:

Jen said...

I am beginning to be grateful that I didn't have the older brother I always wanted... I can't believe Michael told you they would cut your arm off!

I think you should get x-rays, too. My dad had fractured a disk in his back and had to have surgery ten years later because they didn't catch it at the time.

Shella said...

So older brothers can tell you things like Michael did, but they can also take you to get ice cream like Nic did. All things considered, I'm glad I have my older brothers.

Anonymous said...

I have never broken any bones or gotten stitches in my life yet! My 4 year old nephew has already had 3accidents that have resulted in sticthes, poor little boy! Well see you at church! :)

Brittany said...

I think your back has got me beat. Ouch! You really should have some X-rays taken the next time you go to the chiropracter. Love ya!