CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Words!!!

GRRR!!! No matter how hard I try I cannot remember all of the words to any song that I try to sing! Nic, I blame you! The "word forgetting" gene began with you. I believe that every single time I have performed a song, I forgot some of the words. It doesn't matter how many times I practice it perfectly, I always, always, without fail, blow it. It's always a different spot, too. Tonight I was supposed to play at the Sterling Scholar Award...Jobby (thank you Ryan), and I decided to play The Devil Went Down to Georgia since it was entertaining and I already had it ready. My brother-in-law, Ryan, made me an amazing accompaniment CD on which he played everything, including the organ (nice little surprise). I practiced it a million times in the two days before (before that I was practicing Allegro Brilliant for a scholarship audition). I could do it perfectly. Then tonight I went to Snow Canyon High School and sat down. My nerves immediately began to make my hands shaky and cold (not good for playing). I was kind of shocked. I never get nervous! I think it was because I was playing for my peers. I hate playing for people my age. I greatly prefer adults. They're nicer. Anyway, so I was getting really nervous. I started praying like mad, and by the time I got up there I was fine. I was relaxed and ready to play with the audience. The music started, I started, everything was going great. Then after Johnny (me) played his solo I looked at the audience and completely lost my train of thought. I tried to remember, but by then it was too late. My cue had passed. So I just looked at the audience and said "Well, the Devil loses," and finished the song. It was fine, but I was so mad at myself! Why can't I ever play perfectly!? It's like there's a mental block or something! FRUSTRATION!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quick thinking with the Devil loses comment. I have to say though, it would have been funnier if you said that Johnny lost because he missed his cue =) haha...you should make a new version of the Devil went down to Georgia and have the Devil win!!!

Rach said...

Hey homework buddy! So, how late did you stay up...?

Meghan said...

haha. I'm sorry- i hate forgetting thoughts at those important times.

Jen said...

I still think you're the coolest, and I probably still would have had tears in my eyes at your consummate violin playing skills.

Shella said...

People would appreciate it if I forgot the song and stopped playing my violin.... I'll bet what you did play sounded wonderful, which is much more than could be said about my string performances.

Sean said...

It was totally alright, though! Your quick thinking smoothed it over immensely. I'm sure everybody was ready for a break from the boring ol' "perfect piece" routine. Your piece added fun and pizazz to the event. Everybody I talked to thought it was quite alright.

Congrats on your Sterling Scholar in music, and good luck at region!

Jen said...

Hey, if you can post a pic of your new white shoes you should because they are soooooo fabulous!

Meghan said...

ok so i just invited you to my blog. :) I sent you an email inviting you so you can see it now :)

Nic and Paige said...

Clariss,

You did get the word-forgetting gene from me. Accept, the older sibling in me forces the comment...I think you're worse! Ha Ha Ha Ha!

In all seriousness, it's cause you and I hate to practice but love to perform. We love play but work...not so much. Our memories are pretty good if you think about it. You don't forget much, I've noticed.

But let's face it, you and I were born with wings on the seats of our pants, eh?

Love ya,

Nic